Someone thinks my work is so awesome, it should be included in an exhibit in Beijing? Cool!
Wait – it’s gonna cost me $950 for the publicity? Hmm, then look at this: My work will not be returned; it becomes the property of NY Arts Beijing space in China?
Now, I will be the first to admit that it’s quite possible I just fell off the turnip truck and I’m so desperate for exposure that I might still agree to all of this. However, we now have this thing called the Internet, and we can now do our homework and find out that these people have been scamming artists for a very long time. What’s amazing to me is that not enough artists must do this, and so they just keep on going, under the same names, not even bothering to make an effort to cover their tracks. A 10-second Google search reveals:
Casey Shannon knows about this
Heidi Allen knows about this
Art Bistro forum members know about this
Helen Ansell knows about this
And, my personal favorite:
The Caramel Award
Artists, please be careful; it’s a jungle out there! In the interest of helping anyone out there who might get an email like this and wonder if it’s legit, here’s the entire pitch I received yesterday:
Dear Deidre Adams,
My name is Abraham Lubelski, the publisher of NY Arts Magazine, and owner of The Broadway Gallery NYC and Beijing Arts Space in China. Recently my staff came across your works while researching for upcoming projects, and with their recommendation I would like to invite you to exhibit your works in Beijing, in May – October 31, 2011*. We will hang your work as soon as we receive it.
I am interested in your work “Composition IX” and would like to know more about it. I believe it would be an important addition to our program. By paying close attention to the intuitive works of each artist, we are hoping to construct an exhibitions of works that truly speak to the viewer. The exhibitions also offers an international publicity program for a fee (see details below). This promotion/publicity is a media driven event and offers both emerging and established artists the broadest media coverage possible.
All the best,
NY Arts Magazine
473 Broadway, 7th floor, NY NY 10013 | 212-274-8993
ABC Interview | NY Arts Magazine | NY Arts Beijing Collection | Broadway
Gallery NYC | Art Fairs International | Beijing Arts Space | Art Fairs
Newspaper |Venice Biennial Project | Artist Catalogs | NY Arts Beijing |
Annual Artists’ Web Directory | Daily Newsletters & Press Releases | Artist
Residency | Artist Consultation |Photos/video of exhibits
Exhibition & Publicity Agreement
EXHIBITION DATE AND SPONSORS
Exhibition: Beijing Collection 2011
Location: Beijing Artists Space
Dates: May 3 – October 31, 2011*
*Your work remains hanging in the gallery for a minimum of 3 months.
We will hang your work as soon as we receive it.
Sponsor: NY Arts Magazine & Art Fairs International
Promotion & Publicity:
***The fee for the publicity program is $950.00
– “Beijing Collection 2011” will be featured among the “Artists of the Month” banner on the homepage of www.nyartsmagazine.com, www.nyartsbeijingcollection.com and www.nyartsbeijing.com, as well as within postings on these sites.
– Images of the artist’s works will be displayed on www.artfairsinternational.com, www.nyartsmagazine.com, and www.nyartsbeijing.com for the duration of the month.
– Each artist participating in the project will be represented, with an image of his or her work (which may or may not be the work on view in China) on our website, with a hyperlink going directly to the artist’s personal web site.
– A special webpage will be created exclusively for “Beijing Collection 2011” at www.globalartprojects.com, www.nyartsmagazine.com, and www.nyartsbeijing.com. This page will be online for a minimum of one year, with each participating artist’s hyperlink and image.
– Artist to be featured in the print edition, NY Arts Annual Top Websites Directory (Spring 2011 issue) within our magazine:
a) Artist Name
b) Website address
c) One image of the artist’s work (hi res 300 dpi and 4 x 6 inches)
d) Up to 70 words of text that best describes the nature of the work, and their website
– This feature will also be posted online at the NY Arts Annual Top Websites Directory.
– This feature will also be posted on the NY Arts Magazine’s Artist Directory online for one year with a direct hyperlink to the artist’s website.
CATALOG, PUBLICATION & DISTRIBUTION: “BEIJING COLLECTION 2011”.
– Size: 8.5” X 11”
– Each artist will have one full page in the catalog. The page willinclude one image and a submitted text on their work.
– Thousands of copies printed for sale & distribution.
– The annual catalog will be a special section of NY Arts Magazine to be published in Fall 2011, and distributed in the United States, Europe, and China.
– The section/catalog, “BEIJING COLLECTION 2011” will feature its own cover inside NY Arts Magazine. As part of NY Arts Magazine, it will be distributed nationally and internationally through our distribution system(available at a variety of locations including galleries, museums and popular bookstores, such as Barnes and Noble), as well as to our subscribers.
*Deadline for submitting all data is one week after finalizing exhibition agreement.
Schedule & Payments:
***Total publicity cost is $950.00 includes the publicity program and printed catalogs
Shipping Work, & Sales:
– Each artist will show one selected work in the group exhibition, “Beijing Collection 2011.” Maximum allotted wall space will be 55” x 30” per artist.
All work must be shipped rolled and cannot be more than 5 pounds total shipping weight. We will stretch and frame work when necessary.
– Each participating artist is responsible for arranging the shipment of work to Beijing. Works are to arrive 7-10 days prior to the first day of the exhibition.
– No work will be returned. All work remains the property of NY Arts Beijing Space in China.
* NY Arts Beijing Space has the right to lend works from its permanent
collection to any museums, galleries or non-profit arts organization for
exhibition purposes only.
– On the back of each work there must be: Artist’s Name, Title of the Work, Date created, Medium, and Artist’s website address.
-*Your work remains hanging in the gallery for a minimum of 3 months. We will hang your work as soon as we receive it.